Information for Parents on SEND
Dear Parents and Carers,
In 2014 the Children and Families Act 2014 became law. As part of this, there were some important changes to the support and services children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities will receive (SEND).
All Local Authorities publish a ‘Local Offer’ outlining what families can expect from mainstream services across education, health and social care. This can be found on the following website. www.localofferwirral.org
Since 2014 all schools publish their own ‘SEN Information Report’ outlining details of what families can expect from their child’s school. This is amended each year by the SENDCo (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) and will be published on the school website.
A new ‘SEND Code of Practice’ was introduced in 2015 is used in schools.
The following bullet points are points to note on information in the SEND Code of Practice-
- For children with complex needs there is a single birth –to – 25 Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan and these are replacing the old system of Statements of Special Educational Need.
- Children needing additional support from a variety of outside agencies will have an Additional Support Plan (ASP) which is reviewed termly with parents, children, and any outside agencies and can be used to support the application for EHCP's or IPFA's if necessary.
- SEND support plans will be written for children on the School SEN register.
- Health Care Plans (not to be confused with Education, Health Care Plans) will continue to be written for children with specific medical needs such as anaphylaxis allergies and Diabetes.
- Children who currently have an IPFA (Individual Pupil Funding Agreement) will continue to be reviewed annually and if they are to be considered to be put forward for an Education Health Care Plan in the future then they will also have a SEND support plan.
- We will keep you informed of any significant changes on the School Website www.blackhorsehillinfant.co.uk and via letter.
Mrs Rachel McLeod